About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Bottomless Chicken Pot Pie

When I was a kid.....ok a younger kid.....we ate those pot pies that came in the little tins and I HATED them!!! I told myself that when I got older and had my own place, I would *never* eat another pot pie. I just wasn't crazy about all that crust. This one, however, is different.....there is no bottom crust. I promise you......it's delicious!!!

BOTTOMLESS CHICKEN POT PIE
Makes @6 Servings
I did NOT do the P+ for this


1 ½ pounds of chicken tenders or boneless/skinless breasts cut into strips
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried sage
¼ tsp dried oregano
Salt & freshly ground pepper
3 TBSP olive oil
1 cup frozen chopped onions (or pearl onions if you can find them)
1 cup frozen diced peas and carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
1 cup heavy cream
1 store bought refrigerated pie crust
¼ cup fat-free egg substitute

You will need a 10-inch cast iron skillet for this.

Preheat oven to 400°.

In a medium bowl, sprinkle the chicken with the paprika, sage, oregano, salt & pepper and mix until the chicken is coated.


Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil begins to 'swirl', add the chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate, allow to rest for a few minutes and then chop into ½-inch cubes.


In the same skillet, add the onions, peas & carrots and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook & stir until the onions are tender (@3 – 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook about another minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it dissolves.

 


Add the chicken broth and allow to simmer, stirring, until thickened. Once it has thickened, stir in the heavy cream. Add the chicken back to the skillet.



Unfold/unroll the pie crust and place over the top of the filling, and try to tuck the edges inside the pan. Brush the crust with the egg substitute. Using a sharp knife, gently cut 3 'vents' in the top of the crust.

Probably one of the most unappetizing pictures I'll ever post!!! The filling was oozing thru the vent holes in the crust!
 
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.


**This called for 2 cups of chicken broth, but in our opinion, that made it too 'watery'.

Later!
Loving Life!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment