About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Low Boil

Remind me why we sold the boat? It rained.....and rained.....and rained some more on the Fourth of July! When I saw the forecast, I knew that grilling Shrimp Skewers was out of the question, so I dug out this awesome recipe. I haven't made this in literally years!!! So glad I didn't throw the email from December 1999! We 'almost' thought it wouldn't have been so bad if the bag DID break to give it more of a kick, but it would've really been a KICK!  As long as you're careful putting the ingredients in, this is an easy recipe......with little clean-up!

LOW BOIL
AKA Low Country Boil
Makes A Lot!!!
PointsPlus™ = see below


2 packages turkey sausage (or kielbasa), cut into bite-sized pieces
8 – 10 medium(ish) new red potatoes
8 pieces of corn on the cob
8 – 16 oz. mushrooms (OPTIONAL)
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (UNPEELED)
1 box Low Boil Spices (aka Crab Boil)

 
Fill a LARGE pot about half full of water; bring to a boil. CAREFULLY put the bag of spices in the boiling water.


ADD THESE INGREDIENTS CAREFULLY SO YOU DON'T BREAK THE BAG OF SPICES!!!

Add the sausage (or kielbasa) and cook for 15 minutes.


Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes.


Add the corn (and mushrooms) and cook for 15 minutes.



Add the shrimp and cook for 15 minutes.

These are some of the yummy shrimp we brought back from Destin, FL.
Here's what I do next. I put a HUGE colander in the kitchen sink and carefully spoon out the ingredients until I can safely get the bag of spices out.....and then I 'dump' the rest of the ingredients into the colander. IF you break the bag of spices, this will be REALLY spicey......and you'll have to rinse the ingredients off with hot water as best as you can unless you like super-spicey food. Put some on your plate, grab a fork if you want to and lots of napkins or paper towels. Put a bowl or plate in the center of the table for the shrimp shells & corn cobs.


IF you can find Old Bay seasonings, use those instead of the Zatarain's......it has more flavor.....or at least we think so. The mushrooms are optional.....the original recipe I have doesn't call for them.....but we like them.

I didn't bother with figuring up the P+ on this. Your particular P+ value would depend on how many of each ingredient you opt to eat. This is just one of those recipes where I just throw caution to the wind! It's just that good!!! And so......I don't have to put the disclaimer on this one!

Later!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment