About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Easy Red Beans & Rice

The only thing really missing was cornbread! I made garlic rolls instead because I was watching and waiting for some nasty weather to come in.....that didn't! Oh well!!!   I've never really thought about making this 'from scratch'.....it was always from a box. But this sounded so easy, I just had to try it. So glad I did! We both enjoyed this and agreed it just needed more garlic, but we love garlic!

EASY RED BEANS & RICE
Makes @8 Servings

Sorry about the shadow!


2 cups of water
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 (13 oz) package turkey sausage, cut into 1/4” slices
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped*
2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
½ tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste


In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.


In a large skillet over low heat, cook the sausage for @5 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until veggies are tender.



Pour in the beans and diced tomatoes with the juice. Season with the oregano, salt & pepper. Simmer uncovered for @20 minutes until heated through.






Serve over the rice.


** I used the squeezable garlic so I didn't measure it.....and I would squeeze more next time.

Enjoy!

Later!
Loving Life!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment