About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pumpkin Crumb Cake

What an awesome way to celebrate September!!! Pumpkin!!! Everyone thinks Fall/Autumn is pumpkin season, but I think it's always pumpkin season!!!  This is a recipe that's going around Facebook......please see 'My Spin' at the end of this post.  Good stuff here!!!

PUMPKIN CRUMB CAKE
Makes 9 Servings @ 8 PointsPlus™ Per Serving
OR
Makes 12 Servings @ 6 PointsPlus™ Per Serving



 CAKE:
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1⁄2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) light butter
1 1⁄4 cups Splenda granulated
3/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 cup canned pureed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup fat-free milk
1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


TOPPING:
2⁄3 cup plus 2 TBSP quick oats
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
6 TBSP light butter


 
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray a 9x9-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.

To make the topping, combine 2⁄3 cup oats, flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add butter and cut in until crumbly. Stir in remaining 2 TBSP oats. Set aside.

 
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in the Splenda granulated and egg substitute. Add the pumpkin and vanilla extract.

Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the batter. Slowly add the milk and stir in the walnuts (optional).





Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread with the topping.

 
 
Bake the cake 40 – 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.

Turn the cake out onto a rack and cool completely.


MY SPIN: The recipe I got on Facebook called for this to be made in a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and to bake for 55 minutes. I like to 'find' the original recipe so I can see if there are any remarks/comments.....and there were. One person made it in the loaf pan and said that after 55 minutes, the center was still 'mushy'. The person who posted the recipe then said that she made this in the 9x9-inch baking pan but didn't say how long to bake it. I baked mine for @45 minutes. Angie and Chrissy thought it was good! The topping is more 'crunchy' than 'crumby' and very tasty. The original recipe also called for 3/4 cup chopped walnuts as an option......I used 1/4 cup because I didn't want the taste of the nuts to overpower the pumpkin. If I ever make this again, I won't use any nuts.....it won't change the PointsPlus™ value if I use 1/4 cup or not. And.....I forgot to use the parchment paper which made it a little 'messy' and more work getting the cake out of the pan. Ugh!!!

It was yummy!!!
Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!!   *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment