About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Turkey Orzo Soup

I've had a turkey breast in the freezer for some time now.....it was going to be part of Thanksgiving dinner but we had a Honey Baked Ham instead. This turkey breast was taking up too much room in the freezer and had to go! (I will never own another side-by-side.....no room in the freezer!)  Then I went to the store and saw Orzo....and never made anything with it. Bingo! This came to mind and is perfect! I served this with Rosemary Parmesan Artisan Bread. That recipe is the Artisan Bread I made and added 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 2 TBSP dried & ground Rosemary. Both are so yummy on a chilly.....ok cold.....day!

TURKEY ORZO SOUP
Makes @8 Servings


1 cup carrots, sliced kind of thin
¼ cup red onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, sliced kind of thin
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup turkey, cooked and chopped
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
½ cup Orzo



(As you can see, I used a turkey breast so I had to cook that first......and I did use a tad more than 1 cup)


Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Add in the carrots, onion and celery. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.


Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer; put the lid on the pot and allow to cook @20 more minutes or until the orzo is done.


MY SPIN: I used more carrots, onion and celery....and turkey.

Served with Rosemary Parmesan Artisan Bread 'slathered' in light butter.
Enjoy!

Loving Life!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment