About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cranberry Shortbread Bars

Cranberries are in season! Yay!!!!!  I bought 2 bags the other day.....I just knew I'd find something to do with one of them besides my cranberry sauce. I found this recipe and, again, it's simple and delicious! The cranberries are just tart/sweet enough! Thinking this would be a nice addition to your 'Dessert Table' for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

CRANBERRY SHORTBREAD BARS
Makes 12 Bars
1 Bar = 5 PointsPlus™


Cranberry Filling:
8 oz. (2 1/4 cups) fresh cranberries
2/3 cup Splenda granulated
3 TBSP water

Shortbread Batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup light butter, room temp
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375º.


Cranberry Filling:

In a medium saucepan, place all the ingredients and stir. Cook over medium-high heat until it boils. Continue at a low boil until the cranberries 'pop' and the filling becomes thick and syrupy, @5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you make the shortbread.



Shortbread Batter:

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
(Don't know what happened to this picture, but it's just a bowl of white stuff!)

In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.



Gently stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until just combined.



Evenly press 2/3 of the shortbread batter into the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan that has been lightly sprayed. Evenly spread the cranberry filling over the batter, leaving @1/4” border.



With the remaining batter, use your fingers and crumble over the filling; lightly press the crumbles into the filling.


Bake for @30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove to a wire rack. Allow to cool completely in pan.


YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

 
Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!!   *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***
 
Later!
Loving Life!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment