About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beef Barley Soup

It was mighty cold here on January 17th.....and windy and sleety and some folks even got snow.  Before the weather got really bad, I got the idea that I wanted some Beef Barley Soup and had to run to the store before the weather got nasty. So glad I did because this soup is good!

BEEF BARLEY SOUP
Makes 6 Servings
1 Serving = @1 cup = 5 PointsPlus™

 
1 tsp olive oil
2 pounds lean stew meat, cut into small, bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
2/3 cup dry barley
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 (32 oz.) 100% fat-free beef broth
1 Knorr beef Homestyle Stock
4 cups of water


Heat a dutch oven or soup pot; add oil, beef, salt & pepper; brown beef.


Add carrots, celery & onion; stir.









Add beef broth, stock and water. Add bay leaves. Stir. Bring to a boil.


Reduce heat to low, cover & simmer 1 1/2 – 2 hours.

Add barley and more pepper (to taste). Simmer @30 minutes more.

Enjoy!!!

MY SPIN: I didn't have any garlic cloves so I just used powdered garlic to taste. You can add more of the veggies since they're 'free'.

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!! *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment