About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cinnamon Pumpkin 'Custard'

I hunted......I searched.....I looked all over this area & up the mountain for a 9" quiche dish because of this recipe. Was it worth the wait? I think so! This is kind of like a pumpkin pie without the crust with a little spice to it. This is supposed to have a caramelized sugar topping......

CINNAMON PUMPKIN 'CUSTARD'
Makes 6 Servings WITH Caramelized Sugar = 4 PointsPlus™ OR
Makes 6 Servings WITHOUT Caramelized Sugar = 3 PointsPlus™ OR
Makes 8 Servings WITH Caramelized Sugar = 3 PointsPlus™ OR
Makes 8 Servings WITHOUT Caramelized Sugar = 2 PointsPlus™


1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1 (12 oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup sugar (for caramelized sugar topping); optional


Preheat oven to 300ยบ.

In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg substitute, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
 
 
Stir in the evaporated milk.
 
 
Pour into a 9” quiche dish.

This is the 9" quiche dish I looked for forever!!


Bake for 58 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.


Before serving, let the custard stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, for the caramelized sugar, in a heavy 8” skillet, heat the sugar over medium-high heat until the sugar begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally to heat the sugar evenly. Do NOT stir!!! Once the sugar starts to melt, reduce the heat to low; cook @5 minutes more or until all of the sugar is melted and golden; stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Quickly drizzle the caramelized sugar over the custard. Serve immediately.

MY SPIN: For me, caramelized sugar just isn't worth a PointsPlus™ so I opted to NOT make it. I do, however, think it would be really good with a dollop of fat-free whipped topping which wouldn't add any PointsPlus™. And, if you know me, you know I love cinnamon so I probably used a full teaspoonful.....kind of rounded.

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!! *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment