About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Matt's Mom's Squares

I permanently borrowed this recipe from Matt Kaplan, Editor of FaveHealthyRecipes.com. I met Matt when I 'crashed' Food Blog South 2012 in January (there's a post on here about that). This is a recipe Matt got from his Mom and the original is posted on FaveHealthyRecipes (Butterscotch Squares). I just HAD to tweak it a tad more. The first time I made this, I used a 10x10 baking dish and the chocolate bits (first picture below) and it tasted like a yummy chocolate chip cookie cake. The second time I made it, I used an 8x11 baking dish and used butterscotch bits (second picture at the bottom) and it was more like a bar than a cake. Both ways were really good. If Matt's Mom made it, it has to be kid friendly!!

MATT'S MOM'S SQUARES
Makes 15 Servings
1 Serving = 3 PointsPlus™


1/3 cup light butter
1 cup Splenda brown sugar
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup dark chocolate bits

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt together the butter and brown sugar until they're thoroughly combined.

In a large bowl, combine the melted mixture with all the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for the chocolate bits. Mix until well combined.

Put the batter into a sprayed 8 x 11-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate (or butterscotch) chips over the top of the batter.

Bake 20 – 25 minutes but NO longer as this will continue to 'set' as it's cooling on a wire rack.

MY SPIN:  Instead of using chocolate bits, I used butterscotch bits the second time I made this and shared it at my Weight Watchers meeting yesterday. It was a HIT!!!



ENJOY!!

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!! *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment