About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pickled Beets

A few years ago, Abe & I found a new little farmers market....a husband & wife team, Leonard & Vickye. They're the nicest people! Anyway, on one of our visits to them I saw these 'things' and had no idea what they were (remember....I'm a city kid). Vickye told me they were beets and convinced me to buy a peck and gave me her recipe as well as her phone number. The first time I made these, I did have to call her and she was so helpful. The beets were so much better than those in a can or jar. And then I joined Weight Watchers and figured that was the end of my pickled beets......until I was introduced to Splenda granulated......which makes these FREE.....Pointless......zero PointsPlus™!!!  Vickye called me yesterday and told me the 'first picking' was in and she has a peck with my name on it!

PICKLED BEETS
Makes a lot!
Pointless!!



1 peck of fresh beets
1 cup Splenda granulated
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp pickling spice
salt & pepper to taste

Wash the beets but do NOT remove the stems or roots.



Put in a BIG pot.

Add water to cover the beets.

Slow boil for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Do NOT stab with a fork to see if they're done....just cook them 2 1/2 – 3 hours at a slow (not rolling) boil.


'Dump' the beets in the sink and run cold water over them to get them cool enough to handle. Cut the roots and stems off and peel them.....the 'skin' should just come off by rubbing with your thumb. If not, you can 'scrape' with a knife. Slice the beets @1/4” thick. Put the slices in a big bowl.



While your slicing the beets, in a small saucepan, bring the Splenda, vinegar, water and pickling spice (as well as the salt & pepper if you choose to use them) to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Pour this mixture over the beets in the big bowl; cover and refrigerate.

Will last @6 months in the refrigerator......maybe YOUR refrigerator, but not mine!

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!! *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment