About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Simple Salmon Patties

This was my first time using canned salmon. The only canned fish I've ever had was tuna, so I wasn't prepared for what would come out of the can. There was still skin on the salmon! And bones! The only bones I was to be concerned about were the round bones which, to me, looked like the poor fish's spine. Abe told me not to be concerned about the other bones......they're soft enough to eat. All I could think of was my Mother's voice saying "Watch out for the bones"!! So I tried to pick out as many of them as I could. I should've just left them.....very time consuming, for nothing!

SIMPLE SALMON PATTIES
Makes 6 Patties
1 Pattie = 3 PointsPlus™


This recipe has from a recipe in 'Got Braces? The Braces Cookbook 2' by Pamela Waterman and Amee Hoge. It was one of the prizes from the 50 State Recipes contest.



1 (14 3/4 oz) can pink salmon, drained
10 fat-free saltine crackers
1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 TBSP dried chives
2 TBSP olive oil

Place the salmon in a large bowl. Use a fork to remove the round bones and break the fish up into very small flakes. By hand, break the crackers into the bowl, breaking them into pea-sized pieces. Mix until well combined.

Add the egg substitute and chives and mix together well. Shape into 6 patties.

In a large, no-stick frying pan, heat the oil until it starts to sizzle. Place the patties carefully in the pan and brown them, turning once (about 5 minutes on each side).

MY SPIN: The recipe didn't call for the fat-free stuff, so that was my 'tweak'. Also, I added some fresh cracked black pepper. I think when I make these again.....garlic! Just going to sprinkle some garlic powder into the mix.

And this was 'dinner' today:


Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!! *** The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark. ***

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

1 comment: