About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Carrot Cake



Aaaahhhhh.....Carrot Cake.......my weakness when it comes to desserts! But so high in PointsPlus™. One slice *could* nibble away half of my daily allowance. But not this recipe! Yay!!!!! Even non-WWers will love this cake. Should anyone local need any help with this recipe, *please* feel free to call me.....I'll be right over to help you make/bake it and then, of course, taste it. Remember......in my house carrot cake IS a veggie!!!

CARROT CAKE
Makes 16 Servings
1 Serving = 4 PointsPlus™


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup Splenda granulated (I use WalMart brand......cheaper)
1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TBSP canola oil
1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups peeled and grated carrots (it came to a 1 lb package)
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (1/4 cup in mix; 1/4 cup sprinkled on top)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. package of 1/3 fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350º.
In a large bowl, combine the flours, Splenda, coconut, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir well with a whisk.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, egg substitute and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (batter will be stiff and dry(ish) but keep folding it and it will come together). Fold in 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.

Here's the 'tricky' part......you can make this in a Bundt cake pan, an 8x3 round cake pan (if you can find one), 2 regular round cake pans (making it a layer cake) or 24 cupcakes. I did it in a Bundt cake pan and baked it for @40 minutes. If you do the 8x3 round cake pan the directions are to bake for 40 - 50 minutes. 24 cupcakes bake about 17 - 22 minutes. Regular 8" round cake pans would be @ 29 - 34 minutes. Keep in mind that oven temps vary. But bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.

For the frosting: beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Garnish the frosted cake with the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts.

NOTE: If you decide to make this and NOT use the frosting.....3 PointsPlus™ but it just won't be as good!!

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court! *The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment