About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Danish Apple-Almond Cake

Hey everyone!! This is a recipe I permanently borrowed (ok....stole) from my Aunt Betty.......Betty Crocker!!! It sounded good......I tweaked it......and it is pretty good! It's more of a 'coffee cake' than a regular cake. And then MY SPIN at the end.

DANISH APPLE-ALMOND CAKE
Makes 8 Servings
1 Serving Without Nuts & Powdered Sugar = 4 PointsPlus™
1 Serving With Nuts & Powdered Sugar = 5 PointsPlus™


1/2 cup light butter, softened (I used Land O'Lakes)
1/2 cup Splenda granulated
3/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cup Original Bisquick
3 medium apples, peeled & cut into eighths
1 tsp powdered sugar (optional)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired (optional)

Heat oven to 325º. Spray the bottom of a 9" Springform pan.

In a large bowl, beat butter and Splenda with electric mixer on high for 1 minute. Add egg substitute and almond extract; beat on medium for about 10 seconds. Add Bisquick; beat on medium about 30 seconds or until combined.

Spread the batter in the bottom of pan. Press apples cut sides down into batter.

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour & 10 minutes or until apples are tender and cake is golden brown.

Cool 30 minutes on rack in pan. Remove side of pan.

Optional: sift or sprinkle powdered sugar over top of cake; sprinkle with almonds.

To toast almonds: bake in ungreased shallow pan at 350º for 6-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and light brown.

MY SPIN: This picture......I only used 2 apples but I would definitely recommend using ALL 3 (or even 4 if you want) and be sure to get some near the edge. I'm thinking the next time I make this I'm also going to put 1 1/4 tsp almond extract to give it a little more almond flavor because I'd rather not use a PointsPlus™ value on a few slivers of almonds and powdered sugar......it's actually sweet enough without the powdered sugar. And I baked this for 1 hour.

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court! *The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment