This recipe was featured in the 11/27/11 edition of The Herald-News in Rhea County, TN.
Makes 8 Servings
1 Serving = 5 PointsPlus™
6 oz. lean ground beef (I use 93/7)3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3 cloves garlic, minced OR 3/8 tsp minced garlic (from a jar)
2 8-oz. cans no-salt added-tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
3/4 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 dried lasagna noodles
1 1/2 cup light ricotta cheese
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3/4 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, cook meat, onion, carrot and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, basil, oregano, fennel seed, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to the package (omit the oil and salt in the water). Drain well.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese and egg white.
- Lightly coat a 2 quart square baking dish with non-stick spray (I use the olive oil kind....gotta keep with the Italian 'theme'!)
- Place 3 noodles in the dish, trim to fit. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese. Top with 1/2 of the sauce and then 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese; repeat.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 5 - 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
These ARE small portions! I served this with some green beans.
Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court! *The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*