About Me

My photo
Welcome to Tweaked at Chez Jan de la Dayton....translated to 'tweaked at Jan's house in Dayton'! Sounds fancy, but it's not. If you choose to share a recipe, be kind and give me kudos for it. The pictures are NOT to be taken off this blog unless used in a direct link to this blog. Once upon a time I was a Weight Watchers leader....that chapter is closed. But I still like to eat and bake and don't like the weight that finds its way to me too easily. So I go find delicious-sounding recipes and tweak them. Some recipes, however, just don't turn out right if they're tweaked. I've not posted anything....so far.....that isn't WW friendly. That might change, and I'll warn you if I post something with 'scary' P+ values. For those who don't use substitutions, the ratio for Splenda granulated/sugar is 1:1 and the ratio for egg substitute/eggs is 1/4 cup of egg sub = 1 egg. NOTE: The Points Values on these recipes are OLD, so figure the new ones out on your own. I'm no longer with WW. Now.....let's have some fun in the kitchen!!!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Pumpkin Sloppy Joes

This recipe was featured in the 11/27/11 edition of The Herald-News in Rhea County, TN.

Ok.....stop thinking 'ewwwww'!!!! You know I wouldn't send you a yucky recipe!!! But first I'm gonna tell you the 'history' behind this recipe!!! Saturday afternoon Susan B and I went to the Taste of Home Cooking School Show and it was fabulous!!!! I would highly recommend everyone go to one of these if the show comes near you. I've been wanting to go to this for years and am so glad I had this opportunity! The guest chef, Michelle "Red" Roberts, made 10 different recipes in @2 hours........none of which were truly WW friendly but I'm gonna try tweaking them......and showed that you CAN make things that you think are difficult....because they really aren't. We had a chance to buy the new TOH Comfort Food Diet Cookbook at a discount.....so we did......and it is chock full of some really scrumptious recipes! And that's where this one came from......but I tweaked it a bit. Hope you try it.....and like it!!!!

PUMPKIN SLOPPY JOES
Makes 4 Servings
1 Serving = 5 PointsPlus™



 
1 pound lean ground beef (97/3)
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup ketchup
4 TBSP tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
Dash ground cloves
Dash ground nutmeg
Dash ground black pepper
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)

In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until met is no longer pink; drain if necessary.

Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg and pepper. Cook and stir until well mixed. Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through.

I served these on the Sara Lee 80 Calories & Delightful Wheat hamburger buns which are 2 PointsPlus™. Also, the next time I make these I'll add some chopped bell pepper.......only because I like them and think maybe 1/3 cup would give it a little more flavor.

Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court!   *The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*

Later!
Loving Life(time)!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment