PENNE WITH CHICKEN & VEGGIES
Makes 6 Servings
1 Serving = 8 PointsPlus™
8 oz. boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces1 cup chopped onions
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium parsnips, thinly sliced
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups fat free milk
1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
8 oz. penne pasta
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Coat a Dutch Oven with non-stick spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, onion and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are soft but NOT browned.
- Add carrots, parsnips, garlic, Italian seasoning and remaining chicken broth. Cover and cook 5 - 8 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk and mozzarella cheese. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Cook penne pasta according to the package. Drain well. Add to Dutch Oven. Add tomatoes. Mix well to combine.
- Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
NOTE: If you do NOT use a Dutch Oven, transfer to a baking dish BEFORE you top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. My Dutch Oven is 5 quart.
MY SPIN: I would put 2 tsp Italian Seasoning and some black pepper to taste.
Now for the 'legal mumbo-jumbo' to keep me out of court! *The PointsPlus™ value for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gones) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*